Thursday, January 15, 2009

R.I.P. Patrick McGoohan

I was saddened to read that Patrick McGoohan has left this life.

The Prisoner had a lot of impact on me when I came to it in my late 20s. It changed how I view story-telling and shook me out of the idea that continuity is king. That the 17 episodes of The Prisoner can be watched a number of different ways without affecting the story and themes running through the series greatly appealed to me then, and still does. I was surprised to learn that there is no “official” order for the series, other than the generally agreed-upon first and final episodes (“The Arrival” and “Fall Out”). Even the order originally aired may not have been the order intended by McGoohan who only wanted to make seven episodes. For six possible permutations, go here:

http://stason.org/TULARC/tv/the-prisoner/4-In-what-order-should-I-watch-the-episodes-The-Prisoner.html

As well, I like the fact that the meaning of “Fall Out” is still up for debate. I think too many people want their favourite TV series to wrap everything up in a tight bow when they end. Remember the Sturm und Drang over The Sopranos’ finale? The Prisoner proved that television didn't have to be a one-way medium, that it could spark debate and allow the viewer some room to think. Who ran The Village? Someone with a political bent far from your own? Or, more chillingly, someone with political leanings very close to yours? Was the implication that the viewer was "Number One"?

For those of you who may not know this, DC Comics published an authorized sequel to The Prisoner. It's out of print, I think, but well worth digging up if you’re interested in the series. The Toronto Public Library has a couple of circulating copies. Like the series, writer Mark Askwith and artist Dean Motter wisely leave it up to the reader to interpret what “happens” to The Village and Number Six.

You’re a free man now, Mr. McGoohan. R.I.P.

1 comment: