Tuesday, November 9, 2010

A coffee and a muffin costs... um, Wait! I KNOW this... Um...

This morning I went to a local coffee shop. I asked the woman at the counter for a coffee and a muffin.

"I can't get that for you," she said.

"What do you mean?" I asked.

"Our cash registers are down and I don't know how to figure out the price."

I was dumbstruck. These two thoughts came to me:

1) How did this woman in her early twenties, not know how to do very simple addition and multiplication to figure out my total!? The manager and another employee overheard our conversation and neither of them jumped in to help, which leads me to believe they didn't know how to do the math either.

2) Why did this shop not train its employees to do transactions manually should the cash register be out of service? That's just bad business!

I didn't have the heart to do the simple math for the woman; I certainly didn't want to make her feel stupid. I hope she didn't notice me shaking my head as I walked away coffee- and muffin-less.

1 comment:

  1. Wow. I know that some people cannot think or figure things out for themselves, even simple math 'problems', but this is enough to make you shake your head.

    Did this person not ever recall seeing previous sub-totals indicated while she rang-in the orders? No print-out in the past?

    Submit that one to Readers Digest... if not the Twilight Zone.

    ReplyDelete