Monday, November 29, 2010

Fry & Laurie Reunited: A Wasted Opportunity


I was hoping for something along the lines of Monty Python, Almost the Truth when I sat down to watch Fry and Laurie Reunited. Instead, I got a rather lightweight documentary, content to simply recount the careers of the boys using insipid little animations when not showing clips. One could have read in five minutes on Wikipedia all that was revealed during this plodding 90 minute show.

Interesting stories were started by each of the estimable comedy duo, but were never completed, the show moving from segment to segment to segment with no flow at all. What a fluff piece this was. There was no need for the producers of this show to put Stephen and Hugh in a room together if they weren't going to use anything interesting from their conversation. The guests interviewed didn't add much either, mostly phrases like "Oh, Stephen and Hugh are very funny," and "I was in a Fry and Laurie sketch and it was funny." Emma Thompson popped in to say, "I introduced Stephen to Hugh." The entire show was maddeningly context-free.

I'm not coming down on Stephen Fry or Hugh Laurie, I think they are terrific talents. Maybe some day, someone with a point of view will make a good documentary about them. Fry and Laurie Reunited sure isn't it.

No comments:

Post a Comment