Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Toronto Sigh-clists Union.

In my inbox today, yet another Email from the Toronto Cyclists' Union (an erstwhile organisation I am proud to support) pushing BIXI (see here for my take on the programme).

It suprises me that a group that supports responsible cycling and cycling infrastructure would endorse what is essentially, a way for the city to convince the public it cares about cycling while spending as little as possible on it. Don't forget, the bikes and the drop-off stations for the bikes will be plastered with advertising meaning more visual noise on our streets. Not to mention that riders become de facto mobile advertisements, endorsing the sponsors whether they support them or not. Do I want to advertise CIBC (or whatever, I don't know who the BIXI sponors will be)? I assuredly do not. I wouldn't plaster my own bike with advertising.

As with many of the things the City does, BIXI may look progressive and novel to tourists, but does next to nothing for those who choose to live and work here.

(Yes the picture above may have been Photoshopped to include a helmet, something BIXI doesn't seem to care about).

No comments:

Post a Comment