Wednesday, August 19, 2009

District 9

Caption: "If you just sign here, we'll be sure to over-render you in the sequel, just like we did for the Transformers."

District 9
is the first film with CGI characters interacting with real actors that didn't leave me thinking "nice CGI. What else you got?" There are no CGI fireants or gophers or Cyberkings kicking the shit out of Victorian London or confusing Trans-form-o-bots here. Instead we get Prawns, a race of human-like aliens rendered perfectly. They are even more enjoyable to watch because they're in there in service of a compelling story. Just try not get excited about the robot rig at end of the film, exquistely designed, and rendered by someone who obviously understands how machines work.

That this is a relatively low-budget film will surely make the Big Players take notice. I've always said if I had a $150 million dollars, I'd make seven or eight of these little films, not one big mess, a la Spider-Man 3. I doubt it, but perhaps the revolution has begun. Of course I'll eat my words when Neil Blomkamp is given $200 million to make District 10 or Halo.

1 comment:

  1. As a teacher used to hammer home to my class back in school, "no script, no movie!"

    Unfortunately that bit of wisdom is discarded on a lot of very expensive films. Too many people want a say... what I meant was, too many 'clods' want a say.

    ReplyDelete